Sunday, May 18, 2008

Golf

Last week I played in a golf tournament with 3 other co-workers; after hitting one of my drives over the fence into interstate traffic, a second into a river, and a third into an occupied golf cart, I realized that golf may not be my sport. The problem I have with golf, number one, is that it is not enjoyable; I don't think a game can be considered a sport if you can wear khakis and never break a sweat. Number two, it's too expensive and time consuming to secure a half competent skill level. And with a 17 month old and second on the way, extra money and time are something I don't have a lot of.


I started playing golf when I was a senior in college because it seemed every other professor encouraged students to golf: "it's the sport of business" they said, "and a lot of business is done on the golf course" they affirmed. So, not wanting to be the odd one out in the world of business, I bummed some old clubs off a friend (props to Eric if he is reading this) and starting playing. I learned, however, this week that my reputation as a "man of business" is much stronger when I am not hitting golf balls.

8 comments:

j janell cf said...

this is hilarious. golfing is definitely expensive and not easy. i don't ever see the point in more than 9 holes. why?!

Eric said...

It's gotta be the clubs. Just tell Heide you need to spend about $1,000 on new clubs so you can close some more deals. When you look at it that way, you can't afford not to.

john cerva said...

It was so great having you guys here i miss you!

Messimoo said...

Ok, that cracked me up! Congrats on the baby, I had no idea! I love having our two little guys so close together, they are the best of friends. Although, I do worry about Heidi's survival having grown up with so many girls! :)

Sheri said...

Okay, golf was one of grandpa's favorite things in life, so quit that talk! He also told my husband that if he didn't golf he could learn if he wanted to marry me, now I am trying to take up the sport, but I am not asking you for any pointers! It was very funny though!

Ashley said...

i hope you enjoyed kim's phone conversation last night...she was way too tired! i'll try to update my blog as soon as i can. i'll try to do that this weekend. :)

Tony said...

Steve, by some plastic balls and wrap them with electrical tape and practice outside around your apartment...that will help the iron game...then just practice chipping and putting at the golf course for free...and remember "Drive for show, put for dough!"

Robert said...

I can help...

Belowaveragegolf.blogspot.com

Read along for awhile... try a suggestion or two... Tell your friends. Let me know if I need to take down the pic.

Robert